The Montana Meals Challenge of the Month for February is to eat breakfast, so I thought I’d post a few meal suggestions in case this month’s challenge has you searching for some new breakfast ideas. If you’re someone who already eats breakfast consistently everyday, focus this month on the nutritional quality of your breakfasts.
Everyday breakfast ideas:
- Whole wheat toast with peanut butter & banana
- Yogurt parfait – greek or plain yogurt, granola or whole grain cereal, fresh or frozen fruit
- Smoothie made with silken tofu, frozen fruit & fruit juice
- Steel cut oats with fruit jam & nuts stirred in
- Breakfast sandwich – whole wheat English muffin, egg, lean deli meat, sliced tomato or roasted red peppers
- Veggie egg scramble – Scrambled eggs or egg whites with spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.
- Half a bagel with almond butter and an apple
- Homemade breakfast burrito – eggs, black beans, salsa, cheese, and veggies wrapped in a whole grain tortilla
- Whole grain cereal with lowfat milk and a piece of fruit
- Frozen waffle with nut butter, 1/2 grapefruit
- Cottage cheese with canned peaches or pineapple
Most of the above suggestions can be portable, but if you really need something to just throw in your bag on the way out the door:
- String cheese with a piece of fruit
- Homemade breakfast muffin
- Trail mix – you can make your own mix on the weekend with whole grain cereal, dried fruit, and nuts, and portion out for each day of the week
- Hard boiled egg & a granola bar
Who says breakfast has to be typical breakfast foods? Try these instead:
- Slice of veggie pizza
- Half a turkey sandwich
- Dinner leftovers
Happy Breakfast Eating!