Here at MUS Wellness, we certainly don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all concept of wellness. We’re all different: different goals, different interests, different motivations, etc. Variety is the spice of life right?
That’s why one of our favorite annual Montana Moves challenges is the Wildcard challenge. It gives our participants a chance to play their fitness wildcard. For some, it’s a chance to go to their wheelhouse, and be rewarded for doing their favorite things. For others, it’s a nudge to get out of the box a bit either by trying something new, or setting a specific goal they’ve been thinking about for a while.
I always enjoy reading how creative our MUS population is, and I find the wildcards to be very motivating. Here are a few highlights. Way to go MUS!
- Rain, sleet, wind or snow didn’t keep me from achieving my October goal of walking or hiking outside every day in the month. And I maintained 10,000 steps or more each day in October. Yippee! Also, I went to yoga classes every week in October at least 2 times a week. My body and my future self thanks me.
- 38 day streak of 10,000 steps or more.
- Have been working on strength training and am now able to squat more weight than I ever have and increased my 1RM by 20%!
- I kayaked a 24 mile section of river!
- I’m playing volleyball again! I’ll be attending every week and bringing my A game! I haven’t played for about 10 years, but it’s all coming back to me!
- Agreed to dance in the Nutcracker. Strapping the pointe shoes back on and rehearsing 3 days/week.
- Yesterday I had my first consult with my new personal trainer – a first for me is having someone who is keeping me accountable on lifting.
- After months of walking and building my strength back up, I made it to the ‘M’!
- Did 4 great hikes in Zion and Bryce Canyon over the weekend, which has been on my bucket list for years!
- Registered for a half marathon!
- Doing a 30 day squat challenge. Some form of squats every day for 30 days.
- I hiked the Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier – 96 miles in 6 days
- I am going for a 15 x 15 challenge. 15,000 steps for 15 days. Wish me luck.
Streaks, bucket-list items, registering for new events, or resuming an old activities seemed to be repetitive themes this year. Hopefully the streaks and new habits are still alive as we head into the holidays!