It’s mid-August — the days of hot temperatures, smoky skies, the approach of fall semester, and…loads of zucchini. Sadly, the zucchini plants in my garden didn’t fare so well this year, but I’m lucky to have generous in-laws who recently brought over a bag of zucchini and summer squash for my family, and then I was back in the familiar position of trying to figure out what to do with it all!
I remembered that years ago we asked MUS plan members to share a favorite recipe with us. We must have presented this challenge in late summer, because we received a ton of zucchini recipes! So, if you’re like me these days and trying to use up lots of zucchini, here are a few ways, thanks to your coworkers, to enjoy your summer bounty:
Chicken Zucchini Boats
Recipe by Cindy Boies
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 4 roma tomoatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, deseed.
- Fill a baking dish with about ¾ inch of water. Bake in water bath until tender but not mushy. Approximately 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Pour out water.
- Turn zucchini flesh side up in baking pan. Carve out additional trough in zucchini.
- Layer the following in the zucchini boat, amounts will depend on the size of the zucchini: Cooked chicken (chopped into small to medium size pieces),tomatoes (deseeded and diced), and avocado (diced)
- Drizzle desired amount of green enchilada sauce over zucchini filling.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is brown, approximately 15 – 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Zucchini Parmesan with Tomato Sauce
Recipe submitted by Annette Galioto
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 zucchini, peeled, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute zucchini until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season zucchini with oregano and basil.
- Add tomato sauce; cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over zucchini mixture.
Recipe submitted by Anita Brown
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup bisquick
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp Parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Mix all together in bowl. Pour in large buttered pie dish & bake at 350 for 30-45 min until it starts to brown.
Recipe submitted by Jill Seigmund
- 1 lb ground turkey or lean beef
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- Salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash, or other burger seasoning
- Mix the ground meat with the shredded zucchini.
- Shape into five hamburger patties and season with salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash.
- Grill and serve as you would a regular hamburger.
- Make zucchini noodles, or “zoodles”, with a spiralizer
- Shred with a cheese grater, and freeze in 1 or 2 cup labeled portions to use in baked goods (this is especially good to do with very large zucchinis)
- Serve sliced & raw with a veggie dip or hummus
- Use as pizza or salad toppings
- Make zucchini “butter”
Feel free to leave a comment with your favorite way to enjoy zucchini!