May is National Bike Month, and even though winter was still in full force on the last day of April, May looks promising for some more spring-like weather, so if you haven’t already, this weekend could be a great time to knock the off-season dust of your family’s bikes and make sure they’re ready to roll!
Basic bicycle maintenance you can do at home
- Get air in the tires and make sure they are holding air pressure.
- Check tires for any wear or damage that would warrant replacing.
- Clean the chain, gears, and derailleurs, and give them some fresh lube.
- Check the seat and seat post to make sure they are tight and in the right position. Clean any dirt/dust from seat and seat post.
- Test the brakes to make sure they are working properly, and that the brake pads aren’t rubbing on the rims of the wheels.
- Just give your bike a general cleaning so it looks shiny and ready to roll!
If your bike is in need of a more major overhaul, you can always head to your local bike shop for a spring tuneup!
Bike month resources/events
- National Bike to Work Week is May 13-17. National Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 17th. Check out your local community calendar for special events!
- Bozeman is celebrating Bike to Work Week on June 3-7, Bozemanites, stay tuned for a list of coffee and brewery stops for that week. MUS Wellness will host a tent on the MSU Centennial Mall on Friday, June 7th for our MSU commuters!
- Missoula has events all month long! Check them out here with this awesome Bike Month Calendar.
- FVCC in Kalispell is starting weekly rides on Wednesdays from May 7 to August 21. The group will meet between 5:15 and 5:30. For more info contact
Have fun and be safe!